Thursday, February 14, 2008

Recipe of the Week - Garlic Brown Sugar Chicken

Yesterday was new recipe day. I've had my eye on this one for a while - one of the girls over on the Nest posted it.

It was supposed to be made in the slow cooker. I planned to get it started when I took my lunch break, but I forgot. Luckily, I had a backup plan. Recently my cousin K. and I were e-mailing and she mentioned she'd adapted a slow cooker recipe for the stove top and gave me the instructions. So, I was still able to make the recipe!

Here's the original recipe:
Ingredients
1 large chicken, cut into serving pieces
1 cup packed brown sugar
2/3 cup vinegar
1/4 cup Sprite or 7-Up soda
2 to 3 tablespoons minced garlic
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon pepper (regular black or cayenne)

Directions
Place chicken in crockpot. Mix all remaining ingredients and pour over chicken. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Serve over rice or noodles. You can thicken the juices after cooking with a little cornstarch.

From Nestie soontobemrspagz

And, my adaptation:
Ingredients
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 cup packed brown sugar
2/3 cup vinegar
1/4 cup Sprite or 7-Up soda
2 to 3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon pepper (regular black or cayenne)

Directions
Combine all ingredients except chicken in a shallow saucepan (I used my 3-qt Calphalon pot). Heat on low while you prepare the chicken. Meanwhile, heat some olive oil in a skillet. Brown the chicken on both sides. Transfer chicken to the saucepan. Simmer for 30 minutes. If the chicken is not covered with the sauce, turn it after 15 minutes. Serve over noodles.
Rick's only complaint was that it needed salt (but he is a salt-o-holic). I used low-sodium soy sauce, so I'm sure that made a difference. I will probably add a dash of salt next time. I didn't serve a vegetable, but I am thinking snap peas would be good with the sauce, so I'll try that next time.

As always, here's a picture:

No comments: