Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Couch to 5K - Week 4, Day 1

This was my worst run yet! I didn't even finish the interval series. Like I said yesterday, this was the first week that goes by distance instead of time and it was 2 miles, so 3/4 mile farther than I've done before.

The interval is supposed to be:
5 minute warm-up walk
Jog 1/4 mile
Walk 1/8 mile
Jog 1/2 mile
Walk 1/4 mile
Jog 1/4 mile
Walk 1/8 mile
Jog 1/2 mile

I made it through the first 2 jogs ok. The first one I did I think a 12:45 pace. The second I slowed down to a 13:02 pace, as I was pretty sure there was no way I could sustain the faster pace. During the 3rd interval, I stopped running about 2/10 mile in and started walking. I tried to start running again for the last interval, but didn't get far at all. So I walked the rest of the way. Ultimately, I did the 2 miles, but with way more walking than running.

Besides just getting tired, there were two other things that contributed to it's being a bad run. First was my clothes. I wore "regular" socks b/c all my running socks were dirty. So, those were bothering me. Plus, the seams from my pants (which I've run in before) were irritating my legs. Obviously the solution here is to make sure I wear running socks and not to wear those pants anymore. I usually just dress at home so I don't have to take a gym bag. Yesterday it was too cold to wear shorts outside. I guess I am going to have to start taking a bag so I can wear shorts.

The second thing was I was BORED! I don't have an mp3 player and our gym has an ancient TV system where you have to have an FM radio receiver to hear the TV's. I went by Target after I left the gym to see if they had any small FM radios w/ headphones but they didn't. I am going to check Best Buy today.

So, I'll be repeating this "day" again tomorrow and every day until I get it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cath,

I agree that workout clothes and environment really make a huge difference. In fact... I believe it so much that my #1 treat for myself for reaching my health goals is getting new running gear? Why? Because it's a sound investment in helping me stay motivated to get out and get moving... I mean... It is SO much easier to head out the door when you've got some fabulous running stuff on!

I say... treat yourself... and I'll send some more fabulous running socks this week!

LJD said...

YOU GO GIRL!!!! I have to tell you, I started the couch to 5k also so I understand that if you haven't run in awhile it is insane how hard it is. Unless you are doing it, you can't understand. I feel your pain. Good for you for sticking with it and redoing those tough days. it will be totally worth it!!! I have to say, it's easier to train to walk a 1/2 marathon than it is to retrain for running. I'll be in your shoes when my race is over. I listen to an IPOD but I still often get bored so if you figure that one out, let me know. Kate's got trouble with that too.

Anyway, just wanted to say...You rock you GYAIS (Get Your Ass In Shape) girl!!!!

Lillie (the other sister-in-law)