So, my office is closed today. And even though I work from home, I don't work on days when the office is closed. Alec does have to work, so I was all set to enjoy a "me day." My plan for the day was:
Sleep In
Watch the two Nora Roberts movies I recorded recently
Read
Dinner with Alec as a belated birthday celebration (sushi or takeout sushi, we haven't decided)
Movie (P.S. I Love You) delivered from Blockbuster online (since there is nothing good in the theatre)
Here's what has really happened so far:
7:50 am - River wakes me up because she is hungry. No problem, I'll feed her, let her out & go back to sleep, just like I do on weekend mornings.
8:00 am - Get back in bed to go back to sleep.
8:10 am - Orkin calls from the call box at our gate because they're supposed to do some work here today. I don't know anything about that. Also, the feature that allows us to open the gate from the phone isn't enabled so I can't let them in. Which I wouldn't do anyway, since I did not call them and frankly I can't be sure it's actually Orkin so I'm not about to let them into the complex. I tell them to call the landlords.
8:20 am - Evidently Orkin got in touch with the landlords, and whatever they're doing involves making a whole lot of noise in the other half of our duplex. So much for sleeping in. I decide get up and make breakfast.
8:50 am - Another call from the gate - what's up with this? It's Alec's photographer. Alec said to meet him here. Alec's not home, though. I tell the photographer to park in the parking area outside the gate b/c I can't open the gate. I call Alec. He's on his way. Also, the gate does work now; they fixed it yesterday and Alec forgot to tell me.
9:00 am - Settle in with my coffee and cereal to watch the first movie Midnight Bayou. It's very good. I don't really remember the book, so I have no idea how well it follows that, but it's a good story. Also, it has Jerry O'Connell (so cute!) and Faye Dunaway (so awesome!).
11:00 am - Start the next movie, High Noon. Whatever Orkin is doing is getting progressively louder.
12:00 pm - The movie is getting suspenseful. There's a knock on the door. Orkin is evidently drilling holes in our foundation. They need to get in our backyard, but I can't remember the combination for the lock on our gate. I tell them to call the landlords. They get the combo, but I can't get the lock open. I let them come through the house. They get the lock open - must have been stuck since it hasn't been used all winter (it mainly gets opened when they come to mow the grass). While I am trying to open the gate, the landlord leaves a voicemail - Orkin is treating the building for termites and they may need to get in the yard - no kidding. The drilling makes it too loud to watch the movie anymore.
12:30 pm - Instead of watching the movie, I am playing on the Internet. It occurs to me that I haven't gotten an e-mail from Blockbuster saying they received the movie I returned, or that they shipped the next one in my queue (the aforementioned P.S. I Love You that is supposed to be my it's-my-birthday-I-get-to-pick-the-movie treat for tonight). I go on-line and check my account. It says that I still have the previous movie, which I mailed on Monday. I can report it and they'll send the next movie in my queue. I decided to wait & see what we end up renting from the store in case we can get it there. Luckily, we have another movie we haven't mailed back, so we'll get a free rental at the store.
1:42 pm - They are still drilling in my yard. I am going insane. I just heard them say "only 20 more holes to go."
Will they ever stop the drilling? Will I ever get to finish watching High Noon? Will the Blockbuster store have a movie I want to see?
Friday, April 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Wow! The suspense is killing me! I wish you could have put some suspenseful music at the end of your post. Dun dun DUUUUUUUN!
Hope the day ends better!
Post a Comment