So like I said in the last post, this week I picked back up my running with the goal to (hopefully) do the Marine Corps 10K at the end of October.
With the weather here, I've been waiting as late as possible in the day to go out. I really wish I was a morning person, because the humidity is generally lower then (at least it seems to be when I stumble out to walk River). But, I just can't motivate myself to do a true workout then. So, I have to settle for going out just before sunset, around 8 PM.
Here's what I did this week:
Monday: cross-train - 1 mile walk; 15:17:45; didn't record weather info.
Tuesday: skipped
Wednesday: skipped
Thursday: goal was 15 minutes run/walk - did 1.12 miles in 16:08:56; it was 80 degrees with 55% humidity when I finished. I'm doing 2 minutes running, 2 minutes walking which is why I ended up doing 16 minutes instead of 15. I felt OK during the first 3 sets, but then the run in the 4th set was very difficult and I was feeling quite winded. I definitely slowed down during the last walk. Overall, I have trouble with my breathing. I tend to get a tightness around my diaphragm and I often feel I can't get my breath.
Friday: cross train - 1 mile walk; 15:15:17; 73 degrees with 93% humidity (after a huge downpour about an hour before); I felt pretty good, except for my continuing breathing issues.
Saturday: a rest day according to the training plan, but I did walk nearly 3 miles around downtown DC visiting a bunch of museums with my good friend "Archer". That's not counting the walking we did in the museums. Now, it's not like we were speed walking or anything, but I think it counts for something!
Sunday (today): goal was a 1 mile run; I missed my turn and went a different way; ended up doing 1.18 miles in 16:12:105. It was only 69 degrees, but the humidity was high (I forgot to write it down). This time, I was most winded on the first run.
Since writing down what I'm doing in the blog makes me feel accountable and thus motivates me, here's the plan for the upcoming week:
Monday, Wednesday, Friday: cross train
Tuesday, Thursday: 15-minute run
Saturday: rest day
Sunday: 1 mile
I will have to suck it up on Friday and work out in the morning because we have tentative plans for the afternoon/evening. I might up Sunday's workout to the same distance as whatever I manage Tuesday & Thursday. It seems silly for my "long" run to be shorter than what I do those days.
Sunday, June 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
We walked 3 miles??? Seriously? No wonder we were tired.
Yep, I was curious so I mapped it out on the website I use to plan my running routes. I couldn't remember our exact path, but I think I got it pretty close!
Hey-- good job getting back on the wagon. It's tough to get started... but so rewarding...
Post a Comment