Monday, December 1, 2008

Running Update

I haven't had much time for blogging lately - between my work trip, trying to keep on my training schedule and getting ready for Thanksgiving, my "free" time has pretty much been taken up.

I haven't calculated the pace on these yet, but here's what I've done lately:

Training Week #2
Monday, 11/10
intervals - 3 x 12 minutes, with 2 minute breaks, on the treadmill
2.75 miles
41:50 minutes

Tuesday, 11/11
run/walk combo
2 miles, outside
time not recorded because Alec did a 5 mile route and so he got back way after me (usually we finish around the same time if I do 2 miles & he does 3, or if he gets back first, he stops the watch for himself and then figures my time, too.)

Wednesday, 11/12
30 minute walk
This is just supposed to be a leisurely walk, so I took River to the local park for a lunchtime outing.

Wednesday night I left for my work trip that got changed at the last minute. Luckily, however, the property had a gym, so I was able to keep up somewhat.

Thursday, 11/13
run/walk combo, on the treadmill
1.66 miles
25 minutes
(I ran the whole first mile)

Friday, 11/14
rest day (I love these!)

Saturday, 11/15
This should have been a 5 mile run/walk. Since I was working, I planned to get up & be ready to run around 5:30 or 6 since I knew it would take me about 1 hour & 15 minutes. I did get up, but it was *super* windy and I knew it was too windy to try & accomplish. So, I went back to bed. Later, I did the cross training scheduled for Sunday.
20 minutes elliptical / varied incline
20 minutes treadmill / varied incline

Sunday, 11/16
I did get up and get out by around 6:15 for the 5 miles! But, I walked most of the way. Still, I got the distance in.
walk
5 miles, outside
time unknown, since I was watch-less. I was about 1.5 hours, from the time I left the hotel room (on the 23rd floor, mind you) until I got back there.

Week 2 Summary
I did pretty much what I was supposed to do each day. I think this was a good week.

Training, Week 3
Monday, 11/17
I was supposed to do intervals, but when I went down to the gym after I got done working, they had it all torn up & were replacing the flooring. So, I couldn't use it.

Tuesday, 11/18
run/walk, on the treadmill
3 miles
40:37 minutes

Wednesday, 11/19
I traveled home. I was supposed to do a 30-minute walk, but I was exhausted when I got back, and so I just crashed.

Thursday, 11/20
The schedule said 30 minute run/walk, but it was running club day & we met at a different place, so I didn't know the route well enough to adapt it like I do on our regular one, so I went the full 5K everyone else did.
run/walk (mostly walked)
3.1 miles
not sure of exact time, it was at least 45 minutes

Friday
rest day

Saturday
5K race
run/walk (mostly walked, I had a cramp in my right calf that would not go away. I actually considered quitting the race, but I was determined to finish. I also had a sharp pain in my left knee. I was pretty much a mess. I'm pretty sure I came in dead last in the race.)
42:07 (estimate based on crossing the line at 42:17 & subtracting 10 seconds for the time it took me to get over it at the start. The race was not chip-timed).
Despite the walking, I was more than a minute faster than the 5K I did in April, but then this course was not nearly as hilly.

Sunday
rest day (really, it's on the schedule like that b/c of the race the day before!)

Week 3 Summary
I missed 2 days, and I probably should have made them up on one of the rest days. I think this was an OK week. I was proud of my faster 5K time.

Training, Week 4
Monday, 11/24
I was scheduled for intervals and I went to the gym with every intention of doing them. I didn't even make it through the first one before the pain in my left knee was just too much for my wimpy self. I talked to Alec about it when I got home and he said it sounds like an IT band issue, the cure being rest, painkillers and wearing a brace when I run.

Tuesday, 11/25
run/walk, outside (mostly walked due to aforementioned IT band pain)
3 miles
not sure of time. I didn't write it down
After running, we went to the sporting goods store & bought a brace for me.

Wednesday, 11/26
Should have done a 25 minute run/walk, but the gym closed early and I didn't realize it was going to.

Thursday, 11/27
Should have done a 30 minute leisurely walk & had every intention of doing so upon arrival at the in-laws for Thanksgiving. But, I didn't have time to do that & get Thanksgiving dinner on the table.

Friday, 11/28
Planned cross-training consisted of walking around the mall & various other stores while Black Friday shopping. . . not sure that really counts.

Saturday, 11/29
Wimped out on planned 6 mile run.

Sunday, 11/30
Planned on resting, and did . . . while riding in the car home from the in-laws.

Week 4 Summary
Horrible, horrible! Must get back on track! (Except that I should be at the gym now for today's workout and I'm not. I swear I'll make it up Wednesday or Friday. Really.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cousin Belle:
Keep trying you are doing good!!