Tuesday, November 4, 2008

I Voted!

I didn't get an "I Voted" sticker though. They didn't seem to be handing them out at my polling place. I guess I could have asked, but the people were kinda crotchety.

I registered to vote right near the deadline. For the longest time, I didn't think I could register because I haven't gotten my drivers license here. (I have one, it's just for our old state. Why I haven't is a long story.) But, then I found out you don't have to have a license, so I went ahead an sent in my registration form.

Then, I started waiting for my voter card to arrive in the mail. It didn't come before I left on my work trip. It didn't come while I was gone, before Alec left on our trip. It wasn't in the held mail from the Post Office when we got back. It didn't come after we got home.

The other day I checked on-line and saw that I was registered and that my registration was valid as of Oct. 30. So, I checked to see what else you can bring to the polling place: drivers license (no good, wrong state), birth certificate (possibly no good, has maiden name - duh), passport (also possibly no good, has maiden name & is expired), utility bill (bingo - right name, right state, right address!). It was all over the news that it's much easier for the polling people if you have your voter card, but I couldn't really help it.

I also checked on-line for my polling place and found out it's two blocks from the house, which was great. I planned to walk there. Since I work from home, I planned to go at a random time to avoid lines.

So today at 2:00 PM, I got up from the computer, found some shoes, put on a little makeup (I was going out in public, after all) and headed to the polling place. There was no line at all! Three people came in at the same time as me, but we were it.

There were two people checking registrations - A-M and N-Z (or something like that). So, I go up to the cute grandmotherly lady at the N-Z table and tell her my name. I even spell the last name for her.

Grandmotherly Lady: Your name starts with "C", you need to go to the other line.
Me: No, my first name starts with "C." My last name starts with "T."
Grandmotherly Lady: Oh.

So, she finds me on the roll and stamps the little "voted" stamp next to my name. I hand her my utility bill and explain that I didn't receive my card. She starts to write what I guess is my registration number on a little sticky note to pass to the next person, who is writing the numbers & names on another sheet and having people sign.

Meanwhile, the 3 other people are in the A-M line. The man checking that line has already passed the first person on to the lady filling out the signature sheet. Grandmotherly Lady is still writing my number on the sticky note. The next person steps up to the A-M Checkin Guy and hands over his voter card.

A-M Checkin Guy: Good, you have your card. I like it when people have their card. It makes it so much easier.
A-M Voter: doesn't say anything
Me (in my head): It's not my fault. My card didn't come in the mail. If they didn't have time to get the cards sent out, they should have made the registration deadline earlier.

So finally Grandmotherly Lady passes me on to Signature Lady, who writes my info down on the sheet and slides it over to me to sign.

Signature Lady: Sign here on line 20
Me: OK (reaches for pen Signature Lady is holding)
Signature Lady: (in kinda mean voice) This is my pen. You use that one.
Me: (nicely) Oh, I'm sorry.

So I sign and Signature Lady passes me over to the Booth Lady, who explains how to use the voting machine. This is actually the first time I've ever voted on an electronic, touch screen machine. It was kinda cool. I picked my candidates, reviewed them and pressed the flashing red "Vote" button. And, I was done.

Me: (as I'm leaving, to the volunteers generally) Thanks y'all.
Me: (in my head) I don't get an "I Voted" sticker? Bummer.

Then, I walked back home and sat down at the computer to get back to work.

Total time elapsed: 25 minutes. I think that might be some kind of record.

Anyway, I hope you voted too. I'm going to go cook some dinner and watch the returns.

PS - I went running tonight! I've been a real slacker. But, I'll post about that tomorrow. If I'm going to post every day for 30 days, I gotta have something to say.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

We didn't have to wait either. We first went at 6:30am since we were up and it's close by, but there was a HUGE line. I think we took less time than you. I think we were only gone from the house a total of 20 min.