"Why," you might ask "is it shaped like that?" Well, that would be because the dog ate my homework.
I had baked the cake and put on one coat of icing. Alec and I were in the living room watching the Olympics. I heard a noise in the kitchen and I yelled "River, get down." Here's what happened next:
Alec: What is she [River] doing?
Me: I think she was trying to get on the counter & lick my cake.
Alec walks into the kitchen.
Alec: Um, hon, she didn't just try to lick the cake.
I walk into the kitchen and I see this on the counter:
Yes, that would be my cake, with the icing licked off most of one side, and a big bite out of it. After I panicked for a minute (it was around 9 pm and I didn't really have time or energy to make another cake) I had a brainstorm - the design for the cake in the class book was a rainbow! I could just cut off the part River had licked and the design would still fit! So that's what I did.
In addition to the cake, we had to take a bunch of icing to class. We were supposed to color the icing for the rainbow (I'd misunderstood and thought we were going to do that in class, so all mine was white. But, here are all my containers ready to go:Class went a lot better than I expected. I've tried a little bit of cake decorating to enhance some of my bundt cakes from my patterned pans. I've never done very well. But, I was pleased with my results. I think my rainbow looked really good. I didn't do so well with the border around the bottom, but I don't have a turntable, so it's a little difficult.
Alec took the cake into work today and he said everyone liked it.
Next week, we will learn to make clown figures, and icing roses!

No comments:
Post a Comment