Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Recipe of the Week: 30 Minute Lemon Brown Sugar Chicken

This was last week's recipe. Despite the hundred-plus recipes I've saved in my Google Reader or bookmarked, and my dozens of cookbooks, I couldn't find a recipe I felt like making. So, I started browsing Tasty Kitchen again, and found this chicken recipe.

30 Minute Lemon Brown Sugar Chicken
from Tasty Kitchen

Ingredients
1 lb. Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 c. Flour
2 t. Paprika
1 t. Salt
1 1/2 T. Canola oil
2 whole lemons, juiced
2 T. Dark brown sugar
1 T. Fresh lemon zest

Directions
Preheat oven to 350F

Pound the chicken breasts thin. Set aside.

Combine the flour, paprika, and salt in a cake or pie pan. Drop each chicken breast in the mixture and toss to coat completely.

Heat the oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Drop each breast in the oil and brown on both sides (should only take about 4 minutes). Remove chicken breasts and keep warm on a plate.

Pour the lemon juice in the pan and stir to deglaze. Put chicken breasts in a casserole dish and pour juice on top. Sprinkle with brown sugar and lemon zest.

Bake for 30 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 165F.

The Photo
Still no photos. Note to self: ask Alec to remind me to take photos of new recipes.

The Verdict
I didn't do a very good job with this one. I left the salt out of the flour mixture. Since I was only doing 2 chicken breasts, I only used one lemon. My pan was a touch too hot, so most of it evaporated when it hit the pan. So, I didn't end up with much sauce. I squeezed a little more juice on to the chicken once I put it in the baking pan. I was not exact with my measurements for the brown sugar and the lemon zest. I just sprinkled both of those over the chicken until I thought it looked good. In the end the chicken turned out a little dry, but since the pan was too hot, I think I overcooked it on the browning step.

Overall, though, we thought the flavors were good and I'll probably make this one again.

No comments: